Monday 11 November 2013

Vehicle choice.

Given that this project isn't about the vehicle, but the final renders and use of materials and shaders; I didn't want to go through designing a vehicle from scratch. Instead I want to get to the shaders as soon as possible so I can practice with them and so I have decided to go with something that already exists.

I'm a big fan of the illustrator Syd Mead and after spending over 6 hours watching him paint and craft his Hypervan I really wanted to make it myself and use the scene he put it into with this particular painting.


What I really like about this is it's simplicity and elegance. The reflective surface will be a really good opportunity for a cube map along with it's rounded body which will warp the surroundings and catch interesting lighting. 
It's a very simple vehicle for both modelling and texturing, however seeing as this project is about the shaders and NOT the vehicle I believe this is perfect. If I'm done too early, which I most likely will be, then I'll probably change the design a bit to enable the addition of varying materials. Preferably some matte areas to contrast the glossy, reflective body.


Environment wise, I'm torn between the two in the above paintings. I really like the complimentary colours of the red and blue and their contrasting temperature. However I find the polished, garden area in the top painting more interesting as there is a mash of foliage, hard surfaces and an interesting water feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment