Monday 11 November 2013

Yerp

Over the next four weeks I will be creating a scene with a vehicle as the centrepiece. Although the vehicle and environment is where the majority of my time will be spent, this project is not in-fact, a vehicle/environment project; it is about the use of shaders and materials leading to a polished and well-presented screenshot/video at the end.
Before I set off on deciding which vehicle to model, I have to consider the budgets and what this project is about, which as stated above, are materials and final renders. So the vehicle I choose shouldn’t be anything extravagant or too time-consuming to create as I need to plan my time correctly as if I spend too long creating an awesome and intricate model, I’ll only suffer when I start using the shaders and only have a day until the deadline.

Key considerations:
10,000 tri budget for the vehicle along with a single 1024x1024 diffuse/specular/normal. I may, depending on whether it’s necessary or not, include an emissive map and reflection map. I’ll probably need a reflection map as I believe the shaders work in that material slot. Though I’ve still to look learn how to use them.
The environment is less strict on tris and texture budget as it should be used mainly to support the vehicle. 10,000 tris is the upper limit though not a requirement alongside a 1024 diffuse/specular/normal map where I can include emissive and reflections as well. I’ve not looked into high-dynamic ranges however it is mentioned in the brief so I’m sure I apply that to certain materials to get more out of them. On top of this there is a separate budget of a single 1024x4096 for a skydome or panoramic.
The vehicle needs to be viewed from all sides as well so the environment needs to facilitate this.

Schedule: 4 weeks
Week 1: Planning and concepting
Week 2 and 3: Model and texture vehicle and environment
Week 4: Shaders, lighting, materials, camera setup and final renders.



No comments:

Post a Comment